If you’re looking to upgrade your home lighting, you may be wondering about smart light bulbs. Smart light bulbs are a great way to add convenience and security to your home, and can even help you save money on your energy bill. But with so many different types and brands of smart light bulbs on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start. In this beginner’s guide to smart light bulbs, we’ll give you an overview of the different types of smart light bulbs available, as well as some tips on how to choose the right one for your needs.
What Are Smart Light Bulbs?
smart light bulbs are simply light bulbs that can be controlled using a mobile app or voice assistant. This means you can turn them on or off, dim them, change their colour, and set schedules, all without ever having to get up from your seat. There are two main types of smart light bulbs: those that connect to your home Wi-Fi network, and those that use a Bluetooth connection.
- Wi-Fi-connected bulbs are generally more expensive, but they offer a wider range of features and can be controlled from anywhere in the world.
- Bluetooth bulbs, on the other hand, are typically less expensive and can only be controlled when you’re within range (usually around 30 feet).
Choose a Smart Light Bulb
When choosing a smart light bulb, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind. Consider whether you want a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth bulb. If you plan on using your bulb primarily to turn lights on and off when you’re home, a Bluetooth bulb should suffice. But if you want the ability to control your lights from anywhere, or want to take advantage of additional features like energy monitoring, you’ll need a Wi-Fi bulb. Take a look at the features offered by different bulbs and choose the one that best meets your needs. Some bulbs, for example, allow you to set schedules and timers, while others let you change the colour of the light.
Tips for Using Smart Light Bulbs
- Once you’ve chosen the perfect smart light bulb for your needs, it’s time to start using it. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your new bulb:
- Use a voice assistant: One of the best ways to control your smart light bulb is with a voice assistant like Google Assistant. With a voice assistant, you can simply tell your bulb to turn on or off, dim, change colour, or set a schedule.
- Set a schedule: Many smart light bulbs allow you to set a schedule, so your lights will turn on and off automatically. This is a great way to save energy and money, and can also help deter burglars.
- Use your mobile app: Most smart light bulbs come with a mobile app that lets you control the bulb from your Smartphone. The app will usually also let you do things like set schedules and timers, change the light colour, and dim the light.