Amongst the most typical cause of chronic knee discomfort, as well as handicap, is joint inflammation. Although there are several sorts of arthritis, the majority of knee pain is caused by simply three types: rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis.
- This is an age-related “deterioration” kind of arthritis. It usually occurs in people 50 years of age and older, yet might take place in more youthful individuals, too. The cartilage material that supports the bones of the knee softens as well as wears off. The bones after that message against one another, triggering knee pain as well as stiffness.
- Rheumatoid joint inflammation. This is a disease in which the synovial membrane that borders the joint ends up being irritated and thickened. This persistent inflammation can damage the cartilage material as well as ultimately cause cartilage material loss, pain, as well as stiffness. Rheumatoid joint inflammation is amongst the most usual kind of group of conditions labeled “inflammatory joint inflammation.”
- Post-traumatic arthritis. This can comply with a major knee injury. Cracks of the bones bordering the knee or tears of the knee ligaments may damage the articular cartilage material gradually, triggering knee pain as well as limiting knee function.
A knee substitute, likewise called Knee Arthroplasty [เปลี่ยน ข้อ เข่า เทียม, which is the term in Thai], could be more accurately labelled a knee “resurfacing” because the surface area of the bones is changed. There are four fundamental actions to a knee replacement procedure:
- Prepare the bone. The damaged cartilage material surfaces at the ends of the thigh and also shin is eliminated in addition to a percentage of the underlying bone.
- Placement of the steel implants. The eliminated cartilage, as well as bone, is replaced with steel parts that recreate the surface of the joint. These steel parts might be cemented or “press-fit” right into the bone.
- Resurface the patella. The undersurface of the patella, or kneecap, is cut, as well as resurfacing, with a plastic switch. Some specialists do not resurface the patella, relying on the case.
- Insert a spacer. A medical-grade plastic spacer is put between the steel elements to produce a smooth gliding surface area.